)question requires you to select production and evaluate it in relation to a media concept.
list of concepts to which the question will relate to:
- media language
Purpose of media
Expections- the audience knows what to expect before watching the media
fit in with the era
icongraphy- audio/ visual elements
producers: makes products more markable
Hybrid: combines two or more genre eg. Rom-Com
Sub-genre: Original- strand niche
fictional films are usually categorized according to their setting, theme & mood.
- setting is the enviroment where the story and action takes place
- Theme refers to the issues or concepts that the film revolves around
- Mood is the emotional tone of the film
- drug references
- editing: The use of different colours
- editing: Flashing images
- Strange images
- “genre creates expectations that condition our responses. genre sets up hopes and promises and brings pleasure if these are fulfilled”
- Different genre specify different ‘contracts’ to be negotiated between the text and the reader.
- Inroduce your main production, title of production, what genre it is, the 60s era it is set in
- Theories: simon Frith, preformance: where the artist or band is singing/ dancing/ playing an instrument)
- Narrtive – where a story is being told, perhaps by actors rather than the artists themselves and there is oftern no lip sychronisation.
- conceptual. where a story is told in a more poetic and metaphorical form, with the intention of evoking different emotions and interpretations.
Andrew goodwin: states there are 5 key aspects of a music video that we as the audience look out for.
- Thought beats – seeing the sound in your head
- Narrtive and performance
- star image
- relation of visuals to the song
- Technical aspects of the music video
- next include genre conventions, talk about the developed conventios and challenged. developed: flashing images, colours, lacks coherence, weird images, drug refrences
- Challenged: mix of performance and narrative,